Each July, VBCF participates in a three-day program called RAM (Remote Area Medical). This event brings health care screening, services, and education to Wise County, an extremely rural area of Virginia. VBCF runs the cancer education program tent and provides volunteers for child care and other support services. In 2012 VBCF volunteers, made up of cancer survivors, nurses, and pharmacy students, taught 21 classes and offered tobacco cessation counseling to over 600 people.
See photos of past RAM events here.
R.A.M. 2013 Wish List
We need donations of NEW items to be given out to our class participants, including:
- Gift Cards to Wal-Mart, Kmart, Food City, or Food Lion ($10 or $50 increments please.) We also accept donations to purchase gift cards. These gift cards are given as door prizes at each class. (Qty. needed: 18)
- Hotel soaps, lotions, shampoos, etc. (Qty. needed: 2000)
- Gifts for women (re-gift your gifts!)
- Cosmetics, sunscreen, lotions, bath oil, bubble bath, perfume
- New T-shirts
- Hats (summer & winter), gloves
- Umbrellas, wallets and purses
- Prayer shawls, pocket crosses
- Cases of toothbrushes (adult) and toothpaste – ask your dentist!
- Pens, pencils, notepads, box of greeting cards
- We also welcome monetary donations.
- Children’s books (all ages – new or excellent condition)
- Games, toys, stuffed animals, dolls (SMALL ONLY – new or excellent condition)
- Coloring books, crayons, paints and paper
- Children’s Socks
- Face painting supplies
All leftover items will be donated to the teachers at Wise County Elementary Schools.
Volunteers will be delivering school supplies to Wise County Elementary schools and will have some on hand to pass out at R.A.M. A $10 donation will purchase supplies for one child. Please consider making a donation or purchasing supplies.
School Supplies Needed:
- Large erasers
- Wide-rule Paper – 150-200 sheet pack
- Construction Paper
- Magic Markers
- 12” Ruler
- Glue Sticks
- #2 Pencils with erasers
- Pencil Sharpeners
- Blunt scissors
- Backpack or school tote bag (can be made 14” x 16” with handles)
Becky’s Place continues to make a difference in people’s lives but we need your help!
Make a monetary donation to Becky’s Place at Ram. (Please indicate that your gift is for Becky’s Place in the comment field.)
To donate wishlist items or to volunteer, contact Jaime Strohhacker at email@example.com or by phone at 1-800-345-8223 ext. 202.