VBCF will once again participate in RAM (Remote Area Medical) to be held July 18 – 20, 2014 in Wise, VA. This event brings health care screening, services, and education to Wise County, an extremely rural area of Virginia. VBCF runs the cancer education program tent and provides volunteers for child care and other support services. In 2013 VBCF volunteers, made up of cancer survivors, nurses, and pharmacy students, taught 20 classes and offered tobacco cessation counseling to hundreds of people.
See photos of past RAM events here.
R.A.M. 2014 Wish List
- Monetary Donations in any amount. (Please indicate that your gift is for Becky’s Place in the comment field.)
- Gift Cards to Wal-Mart, Kmart, Food City, or Food Lion ($10 or $50 increments please.) We also accept donations to purchase gift cards. These gift cards are given as door prizes at each class and are used to purchase school supplies for children in Wise County.
We also welcome donations of small items to be used as door prizes, including:
- Hotel soaps, lotions, shampoos, etc.
- Gifts for women (re-gift your gifts!)
- Cosmetics, sunscreen, lotions, bath oil, bubble bath, perfume
- New T-shirts
- Hats (summer & winter), gloves
- Umbrellas, wallets and purses
- Prayer shawls, pocket crosses
- Cases of toothbrushes (adult) and toothpaste – ask your dentist!
- Pens, pencils, notepads, boxes of greeting cards
To donate wishlist items or to volunteer, contact Jaime Strohhacker at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1-800-345-8223 ext. 202. Items and donations can be mailed to VBCF at 5004 Monument Avenue, Suite 102, Richmond, VA 23230. Item donations will be accepted until June 14, 2014 and monetary donations through July 17, 2014.