Grant period is closed for 2017. Check back Jan/Feb 2018 for information on 2018 grant cycle.
The Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation offers annual mini-grants of up to $1,000 to non-profit organizations. The purpose of this grant program is to provide funds for breast cancer health education for Virginians. Since 2013, 14 groups have received about $20,000 and reached almost 30,000 people. Priority will be given to projects in areas of the state with breast cancer incidence or mortality rates higher than the state average and/or to projects serving low-income, uninsured or underinsured, medically underserved, or other marginalized populations in need of targeted, customized breast cancer educational approaches.
Organization must be a public agency or private non-profit holding 501(c)(3) tax-exemption located in Virginia, and funded activities must take place within Virginia with the intent of serving Virginians. Checks will not be issued to individuals.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications must include the following information:
- Name, address, and tax ID number for organization
- Proof of public agency or 501(c)(3) status for organization
- Amount requested
- Project Director information, including name, email address and phone number for primary contact individual
- Short abstract of the program or activity, including purpose, objectives and how results will be measured
- Description of the organization, documented need for breast cancer services in your geographic area, project goals and objectives, and evaluation plan
- Important project dates and/or anticipated timeline
- Description of how the funds will be spent (e.g. brief budget with justification) and acknowledgement that funds will be used within Virginia for Virginians
Award Decisions will be made and communicated by April 28, 2017. This is a reimbursable grant. Grantees are responsible for paying approved budget items upfront. The grant funding period is May 1 through October 31, 2017. Only funds spent during this time period are reimbursable through this grant.
Funds can be used to cover costs associated with breast health education projects. Funds are not intended to support fundraising, salaries, awards, or ongoing operational costs. Examples of allowable expenses include breast health educational materials and teaching/visual aids. To receive reimbursement, grantees must submit an invoice (to be provided by VBCF upon notification of the grant award) with supporting documentation (e.g., receipts, packing slip, etc.).
A final electronic report and all invoices to request reimbursement must be submitted within 30 days of completion of the funded program. Reports are available online to grantees. Reimbursement will not be made until final reports are received and approved by VBCF.
All grantees must acknowledge the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation in all published documents relating to this funding activity. Grantees will be provided with VBCF’s Branding Guidelines and logos.
VBCF resources available to grantees:
As an extension of VBCF’s educational activities, grantees will have access to VBCF’s educational materials. These materials include:
- Pink Ribbons – VBCF attaches pink ribbons to bilingual information cards to provide awareness and education in one piece.
- Breast Health Basics brochure – this brochure combines the best of the Shocking Facts and Men’s information cards as well as information on the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation.
- VBCF website – VBCF’s website, www.vbcf.org, provides educational and advocacy information, support resources, and additional information on the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation.
- VBCF giveaway items (pens, fans, stickers, temporary tattoos)
Previously Funded Groups
Central Virginia Health Services
CrossOver Healthcare Ministry
Daughter Connection of Hampton Roads
Every Woman’s Life-Chickahominy Health District
Greater Prince William Community Health Center
National African American Breast Cancer Ten City Conference Tour
Northern Neck Free Health Clinic
Reach Out- Paredes Breast Cancer Foundation
Richmond Guardian Angels
VCU/ Cancer Research Resource Center
Western Tidewater Free Clinic
Questions? Please contact Erin Steigleder, Education Manager, at email@example.com or 800-345-8223, ext. 202.