Applications will be available in May – Deadline to apply is 6/30/17
Since 2000, VBCF has financially supported local libraries and library systems across the Commonwealth through our library program, providing more than $60,000 in funding. The VBCF Library Program is an extension of our mission to educate Virginians about breast cancer. Through the program, libraries have been able to purchase breast health books, e-books, periodicals, DVDs and other materials to to support women and their families in their community.
- Awards will be up to $100 per library with library systems being evaluated on an individual basis.
- Priority will be given to libraries in underserved communities.
- A library system may not receive funding in consecutive years.
VBCF Library Program Criteria
- Library must be open to the public.
- A set of materials should be bought for each branch of the library, or a policy should be in place for lending between branches.
- Collection Development Department at each location has final choice of titles and/or format according to their collection and patrons. VBCF will provide a list of recommended titles. Items purchased must be related to breast cancer or cancer in general.
- Library purchases books through their jobber.
- Placement of VBCF in the Library Notes Field when each item is requested.
- Library will set up a display of the new books and VBCF information for patrons.
- Library will highlight the VBCF donation on their webpage.
- A report including circulation count by book and general comments will be due July 31st of the year following receipt of funds.
Choice of Books
- Books that are not from the VBCF recommended list should be published within two years of the year following receipt of funds.
- Include factual books that are lay-person friendly
- Motivational books may comprise some, but not all of the selection
- In order to be inclusive of all women in your community, please include books with authors/perspectives of women of different races and cultures
- Each library will be supplied with printed bookplates for more than enough materials when the check is presented.
- The bookplate will include the year donated.
Questions? Please contact Erin Steigleder, Education Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-345-8223, ext. 202.