2018 Nominations will be accepted in late summer 2018
About the Award:
The Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation (VBCF) established the Sharon (Sherry) H. Kohlenberg Healthcare Service Award in 1995 to recognize Virginians employed in the healthcare field who “exhibit a deep and abiding commitment to the fight against breast cancer.” The award also honors the memory of Sherry Kohlenberg, a healthcare administrator and co-founder of VBCF, who died from breast cancer in 1993. The award honors a licensed/registered healthcare provider or team of providers in the Commonwealth of Virginia who are employed (not a volunteer) in a breast cancer-related field within a healthcare setting. The purpose of the award is to recognize healthcare professionals who go above and beyond what is normally expected of a competent, caring professional working with people affected by breast cancer. Make a nomination using this form.
To be considered, candidates must be:
- Residents of the Commonwealth of Virginia who provide services primarily in Virginia or to Virginia residents (note that multiple individuals, groups, organizations, or practices are not eligible for nomination; however, a “team” or “unit” may be nominated if it is clearly demonstrated that the individuals function collaboratively and interactively as a “team” or “unit” to carry out healthcare duties); and
- Licensed by the Board of Medicine to practice medicine in Virginia; licensed by a health regulatory board within the Virginia Department of Health Professions (i.e., nurses, therapists, counselors, psychologists, social workers); or employed in a healthcare setting in Virginia (e.g., a healthcare administrator in a hospital or hospice); and
- Employed in a breast cancer-related healthcare field and provide healthcare-related services to individuals with breast cancer, family members, caregivers, or others (volunteers are not eligible for nomination); and
- Individuals who exhibit a “deep and abiding commitment to the fight against breast cancer” (e.g., an individual or team that contributes time and expertise to breast cancer organizations or activities outside of regular work duties); and
- Individuals who consistently go “above and beyond” what is expected of a competent, caring healthcare provider (i.e., volunteers with breast cancer organizations; participates in breast-cancer related advocacy activities).
- Current members of the VBCF Board of Directors are not eligible to be nominated for this award.
VBCF is particularly interested in receiving nominations of candidates that reflect the spirit of Sherry Kohlenberg who was described as a “vibrant, competent healthcare worker” and a “dynamic breast cancer activist.” Further, VBCF encourages nominations that are representative of the diversity of our Commonwealth.
Past Award Recipients:
- 1995: Harry Bear, MD and Tom Smith, MD of VCU’s Massey Cancer Center
- 1996: Claire Carman, MD of Norfolk Breast Care Specialists, and Kathy Spiegel, RN, of VCU’s Massey Cancer Center
- 1997: Susan Miesfeldt, MD of UVA’s Medical Center
- 1998: Mark Ellis, MD of Williamsburg Radiation Therapy Center
- 1999: Karen Knapp, MD of Commonwealth Physicians for Women, Richmond
- 2000: David Marcus Randolph, MD of Lewis Gale Oncology Center, Salem
- 2001: Ellen Shaw de Paredes, MD of VCU Health System
- 2002: Andrea Pozez, MD of VCU Health System
- 2003: Pamela Worrel Black, ACSW, LCSW of Inova Fairfax Hospital
- 2004: Jennifer Harvey, MD of UVA’s Medical Center
- 2005: Mary Helen Hackney, MD of VCU Health System
- 2006: VCU Breast Cancer Genetics Team, comprised of Heather Creswick, MS, CGC, John Quillin, PhD, MPH, CGC, and Joann Bodurtha, MD, MPH, of VCU Health System
- 2007: Eric P. Melzig, MD and Barbara Ross Cersley, RN of Richmond Surgical Group
- 2008: Meg Shrader, RN, Breast Cancer Navigator for Rockingham Memorial Hospital
- 2009: George Knaysi, Jr., MD of Richmond Surgical Group
- 2010: Diane B. Wilson, EdD, MS, RD of VCU Heath System
- 2011: Leotha “Candy” Wilkins and The Hope Wellness Center, Woodbridge
- 2012: Jennifer Reed, MD, Sentara Hospital, Norfolk
- 2013: Tifany Lewis, MS, CGC of Virginia Oncology Associates, Norfolk
- 2014: Elizabeth Jo Lamb, RT (R) (M), Bath County Hospital
- 2015: Meg Helsley, MSN, RN, AOCNS, HCA Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, Richmond
- 2016: Todd Adams, MD, Radiation Oncologist with VCU Health at Stony Point, Richmond
Questions? Please contact Katy Sawyer, Executive Director, at email@example.com or 800-345-8223, ext. 201.