Brand Ambassador – VBCF’s newest volunteer offering – Brand Ambassadors – have the opportunity to learn about VBCF’s programs and services and then actively seek opportunities in their local communities to share this knowledge with others. Brand Ambassadors will be encouraged to offer educational and community outreach, engage in local advocacy, seek out fundraising partnerships, and engage in social media campaigns on behalf of VBCF. We are seeking committed volunteers who are willing to spend at least 5 hours each month on this exciting initiative.
Educational and Community Outreach – VBCF seeks volunteers to help raise awareness about breast cancer and assist in educating Virginians about this disease:
- Speaker’s Bureau – VBCF invites survivors who can share their story as well as spread awareness and education to serve on our Speaker’s Bureau. VBCF and its local chapters offer volunteers speaker training and have a prepared 30-45 minute PowerPoint to share with groups who request a speaker.
- Event Tabling – VBCF gets many requests to staff information tables at events and health fairs throughout the state. We depend on a group of volunteers to attend these events and represent VBCF with general information and educational handouts.
- Medical Office Cards – Volunteers visit doctor’s offices throughout VA to drop off our information cards. The cards are used by patients to request educational resources from VBCF including newly diagnosed kits and newsletters.
Advocacy – VBCF is always looking for volunteers to assist us in advocating for improved breast cancer public policy legislation at the state and national level. VBCF trains and transports advocates to attend a state lobby day at the Virginia General Assembly in Richmond in February and a national lobby day at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, DC. Advocates meet with our elected officials to voice an opinion on pending legislation. VBCF also offers the annual Karin Decker Noss Scholarship of $5,000 for an advocate to receive national training and bring it back to share at the state and local levels.
Special Projects – VBCF has a number of seasonal, short-term projects to accommodate volunteer interests:
- VBCF seeks volunteers to assemble 100,000 Pink Ribbon Education Cards each year and bundle them into packages. This is a great project for school groups (ages 10 & up) and other organizational groups. It is an ongoing project with most of the work being done in the spring of each year. It can be done in VBCF’s offices or at an off-site location of the volunteer’s choice.
- VBCF receives requests for Free Educational Resources throughout the year. The bulk of packaging and mailing these materials occurs in the fall – from Sept. through Oct. and we’re always seeking volunteers to come in on a consistent basis during this time to assist with mailings.
- Volunteers can help with VBCF’s donor and newsletter distribution Database Entry. Volunteers will receive training in GiftWorks software so an ongoing commitment for this project is requested.
- Additional Projects are available as needed. Currently, VBCF seeks assistance with filing and scanning historical documents and pictures. We request an ongoing commitment for these projects.
Fundraising – VBCF is supported by individuals and local businesses across the state through charitable events and giving campaigns. Volunteers are encouraged to host fundraisers in their local communities and a list of suggestions can be found at www.vbcf.org/fundraising-event-ideas.
Chapters – VBCF currently has five local, volunteer chapters – Blue Ridge, Central Virginia, Hampton Roads, Peninsula and Prince William. These committed individuals make a difference in their local communities through a variety of volunteer efforts. Please visit www.vbcf.org/weblink to learn more.
Leadership – VBCF is always looking for new energy and enthusiasm to staff our volunteer board of directors and committees. Our Education & Events and Advocacy Committees are open to all. Committee meetings are typically held on a monthly basis by conference call. No experience required, just an interest in the focus area and a willingness to get involved.
Questions? Please contact Jennie Southworth, Volunteer & Funds Manager, at 800-345-8223 ext. 204 email@example.com
If you would like to volunteer for any of these positions, please complete the form below.